Technology has evolved immensely and communication is pretty much easier these days. However, this will depend on the gadget you use. While there are advanced options like smartphones and computers, the old-school talkabout radios are still popular because of their efficiency. They come in handy in locations where reception is a primary problem when using improved gadgets.
We love that they are compact and can be carried to any point. Besides easier communication, talkie radios give you SOS signals and weather alerts. Their radio frequencies and ranges in modern designs are better than what was there in previous models. Weight is minimal and you won’t feel weighed down if trekking longer distances.
The Top 10 Best Talkabout Radios in 2021
#10. GOCOM Walkie Talkies Two-way Radios for Adults
The GOCOM two-way talkie covers 32 miles which is a longer range than most of its competitors. It gives different distances on the open sea, in foliage, and places with buildings. It is waterproof and can be used hands-free. All the other advanced features like the LCD, LED light, alarm safety, and VOX work together to make communication easier.
Its number of channels are numerous and there is a scan option to allow you to look for activities. This one comes with weather alerts and will be perfect for an outdoorsman. It has a run time of 75 hours on a full charge.
#9. QNIGLO Rechargeable Talkie for Adults
As a new model, the talkie runs on a 1500mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery. After a full charge, you can use it up to 7 days before depletion. The transmission range goes up to 10 miles when in open areas. In other places, the communication range varies.
The gadget is easy to use and has 22 channels to select from. It comes with a noise cancellation feature to improve the sound clarity on both sides. There is a money-back guarantee for 45 days from the date of purchase. In case you are dissatisfied, you can return the talkie radio to the manufacturer for a non-questionable refund. There is an 18 months warranty in case of defects in material, craftsmanship, and functionality.
#8. Felicigeely Walkie Talkie for Kids
Kids get to play and enjoy the Felicigeely Walkie Talkie as it is safe for them and comes in various bright colors. Operation is easier as they quickly learn how to press the buttons. There is also a hands-free operation mode. These young ones can play games on the talkabout radio that uses four triple-A batteries. However, these are purchased separately.
It comes with 22 channels and has a range of 3 miles in the open fields. The signal is strong and the voice communication very stable. The manufacturer builds it with other excellent features like flashlights and HD sound. You can make this a good gift for children. You may also like: The Top 10 Best Safe Personal Alarm Reviews | Best Review
#7. MTM Walkie Talkies for Kids
A kid’s friendly design allows the little ones to operate talkabout radio with ease. This one comes with 6 mute functions that are adjustable. Its power-saving mode is automatic and goes to standby mode after every 10 seconds and can go to 3 or 4 days. The talkie uses 3 double-A batteries.
The radio has a range of 5 kilometers and if you adjust the power to reach 1W, you will make the range longer. This two-way radio comes with 22 channels and about 121 privacy codes to minimize interference from others. These boast versatile use and kids can go with them outdoors without any problem.
#6. Retevis RT27 Walkie Talkie for Adults
Better reception signals are one of the advantages of a talkabout radio and this one also boats stronger transmissions and wider coverage. This one doesn’t come with legal issued or extra frequency fees after usage. The sound range is superb with crystal sound. Once the batteries are fully charged, the talkie can last you 10 hours.
It comes ready to use after unboxing and novices won’t find trouble as there is nothing to assemble. There are 22 channels if you are using radios of the same frequency. The good news is that it is compatible with other models.
#5. Topsung Walkie Rechargeable Talkies
There is a replacement guarantee on this product in case you receive a damaged one. The manufacturer will send another one at no cost. We love that the talkie can be used with other brands whether GMRS or FRS as long as they are on a similar privacy code and channel. There are three hands-free operation levels and will be a good one for both adults and kids.
It is built with the NOAA weather scan to give you the most accurate weather updates. Other incredible features are the adjustable volumes, PTT, numerous tone settings, 22 channels, a scanning function, and 121 privacy codes
#4. TOPSUNG Two-way M880 FRS Radios for Adults
TOPSUNG is improving its products and designs this one with a smart system on the monitor, squelch system, scan, power saving, and battery alert system. There are 121 privacy codes and 22 primary channels. The range estimate is up to 16 miles with a standby time of between 3 and 4 days.
The gadget is lightweight and can easily fit in your palm. It comes with a belt clip to help you secure it as you engage outside. ABS plastic material is environmentally friendly and very durable. There is a 30 days return guarantee on this product if you are dissatisfied.
#3. Obuby Walkie Talkie for Kids
Children from the age of three have begun to express themselves and would find this gadget a nice one to use and play with. They come in very bright and bubbly colors to fascinate them. Their construction is from child-safe material. Its design is ergonomic and the LCD display is waterproof.
The call alert function is clear to ensure easy communication and clear sound. Its volume level is adjustable and comes with a noise cancellation feature to improve the interaction between the two communicating sides.
#2. Arcshell Rechargeable Two-way Radio
One of the challenges of most talkabout radio is the inability of waves to work in areas with obstructions in the line of sight. However, this manufacturer uses the improved UHF function to allow frequencies to pass through steel, wood, and concrete. This makes a better range and you can use your talkies in the towns without any problem. The design is very lightweight and can easily fit in your pocket. We love its exquisite construction too.
#1. Motorola T100 Talkabout Radio
Motorola is among the legends in the communication sector as they manufacture quality products with admirable features and excellent longevity. The design is pretty simple and compact. You can move with it to any point. Both adults and children can use it with ease as it has no complex features.
- The Type: So many types of talkabout radios exist and how to use them and your location will determine the type to choose. First, you have to choose between a General Mobile Radio Service and a Family Radio Service talkie radio. The latter don’t need any licenses, are very cheap and have a limit of only 500 mili-watts. This will be perfect for occasional recreation and as they cover short ranges of two miles. The former needs licensing from a communication commission, are more expensive have 15 channels or more, cover a wider range above 5 miles and others can go to 30 miles.
- Their Purpose: Kids’ Talkabout Radios are designed for children. They are made from plastic, are light, and can be played with. They run on AA or AAA batteries. Long Range Talkabout radios are meant to work in different ranges. As power increases, the range of coverage increases. For instance, four watts talkies can cover 30 miles while 2 watts can do only 8 miles. Hunting Talkie Radios are designed specifically for hunters. They are equipped with car chargers, boom microphones, and headsets. A hunter can choose what will work best for them. Waterproof Talkie Radios are for use in any type of weather and their durability is guaranteed. These are excellent for outdoorsmen.
- UHF or VHF: Are you buying a very high frequency or an ultra-high frequency talkie? The former function at 126 up to 174MHz and cover long distances where interference in the line of sight is minimal. Their antennas are longer. The latter work at 400 up to 5122MHZ and boast higher versatility. Their frequency can cut through walls and their waves are shorter. The two however aren’t compatible.
- Distance: Talkie radio manufacturers are now specifying the distance covered by their products. One with a coverage of 8 miles could cover between 3 and 4 miles. Your needs will highly influence the range. If you buy a two-way, the coverage will be between 20 and 50 miles.
- Features: As you buy a two-way talkie, check for features like headsets, hands-free gear, noise-canceling features, and privacy codes. If you are a hunter, one with a vibration feature is necessary. Select a radio that comes with a keypad lock to avoid pressing buttons unknowingly. More to look out for are a jack for your speaker, Backlit LCDs, income alerts, channel saver, talk confirmation, and weather alerts.
- Batteries : Cheap and less advanced talkies use double or triple-A batteries. The modern versions come with lithium-ion batteries, nickel-cadmium batteries, or nickel hydride batteries. Know how long your radio can be used so that you can get it the right battery types. Battery life is estimated at 90% standby time. Reception time is like 5% and transmission at 5%.
- Channels: Talkabout radios come with various channels for various reasons. You should identify a radio that matches your needs so that you get one with useful channels. Talkies with more channels are highly-priced.
We have done an in-depth review of the best talkabout radios for both children and others. We advise that you maintain safety and follow the age limit issued by the manufacturer. These products fall between the low and highly-priced ranges so you can choose what fits your budget and needs.